Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor?
Action Images/Reuters/Las Vegas Sun/Steve Marcus
IT has been reported by British tabloid The Sun that retired superstar Floyd Mayweather Jnr is “on the verge” of signing a huge deal to take on UFC star, Conor McGregor.
Tomorrow night, at the brand new T-Mobile Las Vegas Arena Amir Khan – a long-time suitor of Mayweather – takes on Canelo Alvarez in a WBC middleweight showdown. Members of the media, and Khan himself, were half-expecting some kind of announcement from Floyd in an effort to gatecrash the attention on Cinco de Mayo weekend – a weekend that has typically been reserved for his fights in recent years.
McGregor called out Mayweather last year but being as though they are from two different sports made the bout a non-starter. And despite the sensational report, that would still appear to be the case.
The report claims that an announcement is imminent (all that needs to be resolved, apparently, is the small matter of agreeing purses), but there is very little substance to the claims bar a mysterious source who was quoted as saying: “Floyd went mad after Conor said he would crush him and knock him out in 30 seconds, he’s obsessed with making Conor eat his words.
“Floyd is calling the shots. It’s strictly boxing and Conor will have to lose roughly 25lbs.
“It was agreed in principle on May 2, but Floyd wouldn’t reveal the identity of his opponent until last night when he told friends he’ll be fighting Conor.”
Mayweather Promotions hosted the Washington April 30 show featuring James DeGale and Badou Jack, and Floyd then admitted that he had been in talks with CBS and Showtime about a potential return. As per usual when the 39-year-old says anything vaguely related to fighting again, speculation about a comeback followed.
“Everyone is asking me, ‘Is Floyd Mayweather coming back’?” Mayweather said. “Right now, I’m happy being on [the promotional] side, but I’ve been talking with CBS and Showtime, and you just never know. But right now, I’m just happy on this side.
“As of right now, some crazy numbers have been thrown my way — upwards, of course, of nine figures. But I’m truly blessed beyond belief, and I really don’t know what we’re going to do. But right now, I’m really happy being on this side helping fighters.”
During the post-fight press conference in Washington, Floyd’s friend and CEO of Mayweather Promotions, Leonard Ellerbe, was asked if Mayweather was returning to fight Conor McGregor.
“You’ll have to talk to [UFC chief] Dana White about that. That’s who is boss is, Floyd don’t have a boss.”
Ellerbe then confirmed that should a fight occur, it would be boxing and not MMA – which would mean McGregor would have to terminate his contract with the UFC to take part in a sport he has never competed in professionally, against 49-0 Mayweather.